Friday, January 22, 2010

The Once and Future Mom


From June 29, 2009

I'm in the final days of my first trimester and it's finally sinking in that I'm pregnant. I still have moments of disbelief, but for the most part it's a wonderful spark of happiness in the back of my mind.

I spent most of my first trimester looking for information and finding scare tactics instead. Seriously, why is EVERYONE on the web, in the books and on tv focusing on every single horrible thing that can wrong? Let's face it, humans have been getting pregnant and giving birth for a million years. Nature has thing well figured out for the most part. No, I'm not ignoring the fact that things can and do go wrong. But I also don't need to spend every moment of this wonderful time scared out of my mind.

I've stopped reading most internet sites, except for a few blogs. Normal, everyday mom troubles are good to read about. I only have one book, the Joy of Pregnancy, which I think takes a really reasonable approach. It focuses on the good stuff while acknowledging problems that can arise.

No comments:

Post a Comment