Tuesday, February 23, 2010

High Protein Pasta with Veggies

picture to be posted later

I'm going to post some of the recipes I've discovered and/or come up with. I need to eat much more protein than usual, and more veggies, so I've had to be creative. Here's what I'm making today. This makes several servings. I eat one and freeze the rest for later. It's easy, fairly quick and full of good stuff. These directions are for after you've had the child; if you're still pregnant the directions will be in parenthesis.

Whole wheat penne pasta
garbanzo beans (chick peas)
canned diced tomatoes
2 small yellow squash
2 small zuchinni
2 handfuls fresh spinach
italian seasoning (marjoram, rosemary, thyme, sage, oregano)

Change diaper. Nurse child. Get child to go to sleep. (If pregnant, go to bathroom).

Find your largest soup pot. Remove cat which is sleeping in pot. Wash pot.

Cook pasta according to directions for al dente, drain.

Pick up crying child. Sternly admonish cat that woke up child. Get child back to sleep. (If pregnant, go to bathroom).

In same pot, add olive oil. When it's hot, add squash and zucchini.

Check on crying child, change diaper. (If pregnant, go to bathroom).

Add salt, pepper and Italian seasoning to taste. Saute for a few minutes (2-3).

Add spinach and cook until spinach wilts.

While waiting for the spinach to wilt, check on crying child, walk around the house singing lullabies. (If pregnant, go to bathroom).

Add diced tomatoes and garbanzo beans.

Check on crying child, change diaper. Congratulate child on making such good poopies. (If pregnant, go to bathroom).

Cook until warm, stirring frequently. Taste and add seasoning if necessary. Add pasta.

Immediately put 4 portions in containers to freeze. Put another portion into a bowl that you will get to eat as soon as you get the child to sleep again. (If pregnant, go to the bathroom and enjoy your ability to eat when the food is still warm. **chuckles**)

1 comment:

  1. I had to put down my coffee when I read this recipe! Despite all the efforts of all my mom friends, I wasn't prepared for my Tiny Overlord either. Sometime in the first three months I learned that putting the baby safely in the crib, gaining a few moments of breathing / crying in the bathroom made me a better mom. He was safe, I was calmer... but you've completely nailed it.

    ReplyDelete