Saturday, February 6, 2010

Never Say Thank You


There's a Celtic belief that, when dealing with the Gentle Folk (fae, faeries, elves, call them what you will) one should never say Thank You. It's seen as an insult - to accept a gift or help and then dismiss it with two simple words. Appreciation deserves more words, and specific ones.

I have a habit of not wanting to inconvenience people, so I often won't take them up on their offers of help. Her Miniscule Majesty is teaching me to accept these offers in the spirit in which they are offered, and to take the freakin' help.

I've had friends answer my frantic and probably ridiculous questions through email, facebook and over the phone. They've encouraged me every time I hit a rough patch, commiserated with me when I complained and cheered over the small victories.

One friend drove an hour to see me the day after minor surgery and spent the day holding Her Supreme Smallness, so I could actually get some housework finished.

Another drove an hour through pouring rain and cooked up a big batch of veggie shepard's pie for me, so I'd have meals I could just microwave. She put the portions in the freezer, cleaned the kitchen, and took out the trash.

My mother and father drove 10 hours to see us. They cooked breakfast, lunch and dinner all weekend, cleaned my house, bullied me into taking naps, and watched her while my husband and I had our first night out together since the arrival of the Diminutive Dictator.

My in-laws are coming up next weekend for our birthdays and have offered to watch Her Powerful Petiteness so my husband and I can have a birthday dinner together.

Two other friends are organizing a belated baby shower for me, and juggling a list of invited people that, for the most part, they've never met. They already attended a surprise baby shower that my online friends held at a Con that we went to. And a friend/close colleague had a shower for me at my job. And of course there's everyone who's attended/will attend.

All of these people have made me feel loved, have picked me up when I needed support, have encouraged me when I was feeling low and shared the joy. I've needed them and they've been there for me. It's been yet another humbling experience.
As important as they are, the two words "thank you" aren't enough to express my gratitude. All I can do is to accept the help, and earnestly say that if any of you need me, just ask. I'll be there. No thanks necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment