Sunday, March 14, 2010

Almost Over


My maternity leave is coming to an end soon. 4 more weeks, and then I have to give up my time with her.

Physically, I wonder how I'm going to do everything that needs to be done. Mornings can be hectic enough, but now I have to factor in at least one nursing session, and pump while I'm at it. At least one diaper change, and her dressed for the day, with a spare outfit or two. On Mondays I'll need to pack clean diapers for the week. Steve will be taking her Miniscule Majesty to childcare, so I don't have to worry about that drive, at least.

Once I get to work, I have to figure out when and where to pump at least three times a day. I suspect I'll have to use my classroom before and after school, and during my planning. This means washing my hands and storing the milk somewhere else. I'll have to block the window in the door and lock it, but a lot of people have master keys. And there are the constant meetings, professional learning, tutoring students, morning and afternoon duties, etc. I'll just have to do the best I can.

Then there's sleep. Right now, I can usually sleep until 8am, and nap for at least an hour during the day. That makes waking up every 2 hours doable. But when I have to wake up at 5:30, I'm afraid I'm going to be severely sleep deprived, and I still can't drink caffeine yet.

The REAL worry, of course, is having to leave Summer. I've met the person who is going to be taking care of my Petite Princess and I like her. She's an experienced mom and child care provider. But no matter how wonderful she is, she can't give my little one the same amount of attention as I can. Will Summer like her? How well will she adjust? Will she cry? She's so used to nursing herself to sleep and napping on my lap, in my arms.

I'm going to be a wreck.

No comments:

Post a Comment