Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Crying


I'm slowly learning the difference between real crying and what I call "fussing." Real crying tells me of a need - hunger, a diaper in need of a change, reassurance and contact with Mom. Fussing isn't a need. Fussing happens when she is tired, or cranky. If she's fussing and I put her in her swing with some music and white noise, she will go to sleep within 15 minutes. Generally. If she's cranky, I can usually distract her and get her smiling again.

Learning the difference is the hard part. I don't want to ignore her needs, but I also don't want to feed her every time she cries, for example. It sets a bad example (eat to solve your problems) and it doesn't fix the real problem. I also need the practice in saying "No" to my strong willed child.

I don't want to let her "just cry." If she's crying, I need to solve the problem. If she's fussing however, that I can live with for a bit.

I think she's waking up; the mid day nap may be over for today. This afternoon's adventure is grocery shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment